Linux Picn*x


I volunteered for the 13th Annual Linux Picnic which took place this Saturday. It was fun socializing with other geeks, and I met some really interesting people there. Google among other companies sponsored the event and you can check out more pictures at the official website http://www.linuxpicnic.org

Geeks are uber cool, they dont wear armani suits .. they wear cool tshirts. This gentleman was wearing a DefCon tshirt, I loved the quote at the back.

I met this interesting 38 years old engineer from Tokyo who works for Sony Entertainment. As I said, geeks are uber cool and they make a statement with what they wear, this gentleman was wearing a Scottish kilt, a matching hat and had the trademark geek pony tail.

We talked about Sony's line of products both in US and in Japan and the future of Memory stick (Sony's proprietory memory device). I told him how I've been wanting to visit Tokyo and see the famous Shibuya district, I've been in love with it ever since I first saw it in the Applied Materials commercial 4 years ago. You know you've met a genuine Japanese engineer when you see a guy carrying atleast 4 complex electronic devices on him :) and he was really excited about showing me his radio-sync, solar powered, auto-adjusting wrist watch, his pocket multifunction GPS and his vertical optical barrel Minolta DiMage digital camera. I showed him my pocket Nikon 2200 which had some really fun and easy to use features.

I also met Bill, a developer who writes games for Qualcomm's Brew platform (for Cellular phones). Bill was a really fun guy and we talked about the development process for writing games for cell phones and discussed the problems in testing different phones and the process of getting the game tested at the Qualcomm labs. Bill told me that he was able to run an Apache server, Php and MySQL off of his Sharp Zaurus PDA! which is absolutely mind boggling!!

0 comments: